Power of HOPE, JOY & Cancer Advocacy
Power of HOPE & JOY: Having friends with Stage 4 pancreatic cancer and hundreds family and friends diagnosed with cancer (that I've advocated for) I wanted to thank physician-scientists, surgeon-scientists, pathologists, researchers, nurses, staff, caregivers and patient–advocates while sharing what I learned:
1) You need the best medical team possible especially for rare or aggressive cancers and that means getting a second opinion at a top cancer center. Don't be afraid of offending your doctor, it's your life!
2) You need something to fight for, something or someone to live for you need a "WHY." You need meaning and a great start is by reading Dr. Viktor Frankl's seminal book, "Man's Search for Meaning" and other meaningful books, it will change your life!
3) You need support either of family, friends or other patient-advocates because no one gets through cancer alone. Find positive supportive people–have them go to your appointments and treatments with you to make sure you understand what your physician, nurse, PA is telling you.
4) You need HOPE & JOY– Hope will keep you on your treatment during your darkest days and Joy = Passionate Purpose + Meaning, will help you get out of bed each morning. Find what makes your heart smile and do it for at least 15 minutes a day. That includes eating healthy and whatever exercise you can do.
5) As a society, we need money and more funding for research. That is the tragedy and what must be fixed–what government and private industry innovation can fix. It's what we must fight for because 1 in 2 men, 1 in 3 women and 1 in 285 children will be diagnosed with cancer and they deserve hope too!
© 2018, Jaye Seidlin, All Rights Reserved.